Unusual resizing problem

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM
Hi,

First of all thanks for sharing this code - it's fantastic.

I noticed some unsual behaviour when attempting to resize some images that have been copied from a digital camera.

The clientside resize does not take place and the full size image is uploaded to the server - despite the imagesize and resizeimage attributes being set accordingly.

Initially I suspected that it was something do with the encoding and/or compression type of the JPG. However when looking into this possibility I made another discovery...

In Vista, I right-clicked on the file and selected properties then details.

At the bottom of the details tab I used the option "Remove Properties and Personal Information" to remove the "camera model" value.

I then tried to upload the file and the resize now worked.

I experimented with removing/changing different properties; clientside resize would work as soon as one property was removed/changed - regardless of which property it is.

Does anybody have any explanation for this behaviour - it doesn't happen with all images copied directly from a digital camera, only certain images from certain cameras.
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM
That is bizzare. You might bring it up on the Flux Capacity (http://fluxcapacity.net/open-source/) site as well, since that is what I am using to resize the images.
Darick




From: [email removed]
To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:41:02 -0800
Subject: Unusual resizing problem [SilverlightFileUpld:44972]


From: corrk
Hi,

First of thanks for sharing this code, it's fantastic.

I noticed some unsual behaviour when attempting to resize some images that have been copied from a digital camera.

The clientside resize does not take place and the full size image is uploaded to the server - despite the imagesize and resizeimage attributes being set accordingly.

Initially I suspected that it was something do with the encoding and/or compression type of the JPG. However when looking into this possibility I made another discovery...

In Vista, I right-clicked on the file and selected properties then details.

At the bottom of the details tab I used the option "Remove Properties and Personal Information" to remove the "camera model" value.

I then tried to upload the file and the resize now worked.

I experimented with removing/changing different properties; clientside resize would work as soon as one property was removed/changed - regardless of which property it is.

Does anybody have any explanation for this behaviour - it doesn't happen with all images copied directly from a digital camera, on certain images from certain cameras.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SilverlightFileUpld@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email SilverlightFileUpld@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Hotmail® goes where you go. On a PC, on the Web, on your phone. See how.
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Thanks for the reply Darick, I'll post a message at Flux Capacity to see if they know what is happening.
If you are interested I can provide a JPG that causes the problem.