Unusually rapid file upload progress

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Is there a problem with how this code reports upload progress?  I'm uploading files around 4 MB each and my chunk size is 4 MB.  My upload progress bar fills to almost 100% immediately but then each file appears to just "hang" in an "Uploading" state for a period of time (10 or more seconds depending on internet connection speed).  Eventually each file says "Completed" - but it is misleading because the progress bar appears to be 100% filled long before each file is complete.  It appears that the progress bar is reporting the progress of the bytes being written to the upload stream - not the progress of the bytes being sent to the server.  Is there a way to fix this or a way to more accurately report the progress of the file upload? 

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM
When uloading with silverlight, it uploads on the UI thread. For a more responsive UI, lower the chunksize. But then this increases the amount of times a connection needs to be established, lowering the porformance. I'm not happy about how this works. In flash, it does not upload using the UI thread, bu it also doesn't persist sessions. So there are problems with both flash and silverlight. Maybe this will be fixed with version 4.

Hope this helps,
Darick

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:57:57 -0800
Subject: Unusually rapid file upload progress [SilverlightFileUpld:76732]

Is there a problem with how this code reports upload progress? I'm uploading files around 4 MB each and my chunk size is 4 MB. My upload progress bar fills to almost 100% immediately but then each file appears to just "hang" in an "Uploading" state for a period of time (10 or more seconds depending on internet connection speed). Eventually each file says "Completed" - but it is misleading because the progress bar appears to be 100% filled long before each file is complete. It appears that the progress bar is reporting the progress of the bytes being written to the upload stream - not the progress of the bytes being sent to the server. Is there a way to fix this or a way to more accurately report the progress of the file upload?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SilverlightFileUpld@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email SilverlightFileUpld@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.